Tuesday, January 30, 2007

the "skinny" on body image......

I will admit it, I am a celebrity gossip junkie. One of my favorite magazines is "Life & Style". I love looking at what the celebs are wearing and reading the lil articles. I know, I know, it is completely shameful and I have about 1,000 other things to do that are incredibly more worthwhile, but I cannot stop the gossip magazine obsession. I bought one today. The headline is "Jen gets more PLASTIC SURGERY". (for those of you who don't have time to keep up on such current events, Jen is referring to Jennifer Aniston)

So, this leads me to think about women, society and body image. I am sure that most women around my age have thought of this on more than one occasion. Why do we (I) continue to base my body image on the standards that society gives me? Celebrities are everywhere now days (and I totally buy into it, I admitted my addiction). They have become our standard for beauty. The 3% of the population who can fit into a size 0 or 2 are setting the bar for the rest of us. When did rib cages and shoulder blades become sexy? And, why do I continue to buy into this?

What happened to healthy? I feel like I am in a constant struggle. On one hand, I want this so called perfect body. On the other hand, I don't even know what that is. Shouldn't my perfect body be one that is healthy and strong? Sometimes I don't think I will ever be happy with the way that I look. I can remember thinking I was "chunky" in high school. How can a size 4 be chunky? I thought I was fat because I didn't have a 6 pack. Boy, was I ever wrong. Well, now I think I am overweight because I am no longer a size 4 and the charts tell me that according to my height, I should lose about 30 lbs. I cannot lose 30 lbs- I would look like a skeleton. Well, actually I would look like the girls who are on the cover of this magazine I love to read. My head tells me that I am striving for this unrealistic goal, but my heart, no lets say my ego, is striving for the impossible.
I want my ego to catch up to what my head already knows..... healthy is more important than this hollywood standard of attractiveness. My husband already thinks I am the most beautiful woman in the world, so why would I want to change how my body looks?

Don't get me wrong.. I am not completely obsessed with this. But, it is something that I think about from time to time. I know that I am probably too hard on myself and my appearance. Honestly, I think most of us women are. Heck, who knows, maybe the men are too, but they just don't voice it as much.

I don't know how to bring this to a close....for some reason I just can't seem to wrap all my thoughts up. I think I will just end it with a quote:

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or touched. They must be felt with the heart." ~Helen Keller

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is one of my favorite quotes. I love Helen :)

I agree with you, too, Corie. I am the same way. I have a couple other friends who are like that, too. It's hard not to compare ourselves. I do it wayyyy too often. I always have, though. I feel happy with myself as a whole, but do wish I could change a few things now and again. Maybe in another lifetime :):)