Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Life-less and Style-less

If you have read my past posts, you know that one of my favorite guilty pleasures is reading Life & Style magazines. Until now....
I have officially given up Life & Styles, along with all of the other Hollywood gossip magazines- OK, US Weekly, In Touch..... I haven't read one (with exception of quick glances at the covers while standing in line at the grocery store) in almost 3 weeks. I gave the magazines up for another application for my small group. We were discussing the media and the negative influence we allow it to have on our lives. Sometimes we may not even realize the media is a negative influence. I gave up the magazines because I believe the make me want my body to look a certain way, dress a certain way, have certain accessories. Basically I have realized that the magazines influence me to place too much emphasis on physical apprearance. The Bible tells me to do exactly the opposite and place emphasis on character. I want to strive for integrity, compassion, mercy, honesty, love; not a perfect body and a great wardrobe.

Plus, I'm reading the Firstborn series by Karen Kingsbury. One of her characters is a famous actor and the book deals alot with how the paparrazi affect his every day life. Reading about the paparrazi and gossip magazines from an actor's (although he is fictional) point of view really puts a different spin on it. I had always thought "well, that's the price you pay for fame". The more I think about it, it saddens me. I don't really want to help keep these paparrazi in a job.

So, I am sure it will take me awhile to break the addiction. I have no idea what is going on with Britney since she got out of rehab, I heard that Angelina and Brad adopted another child, but I am not sure if it's true, and Tom and Katie could have split up for all I know. But, I do know that this lack of knowledge has not affected me whatsoever. I guess Life-less and Style-less isn't so Life-less after all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved that, Corie. I love how things you say and do inspire me to do the same. I've never been a big celebrity follower. I don't go out of my way to gain information at least. But I am to blame for wanting to be in style with the latest and greatest, but becoming a mom has forced me to lean on that "want" less and less. I'm proud to say I don't buy fashion mags anymore, but I'm still a sucker for the latest fashions. I know you're right . . . that that is not what life is about . . . and that God doesn't want us to improve our looks but our character, like you said. I think your post probably will be inspiring to many people who read. It is to me!