Sunday, December 10, 2006

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

I had an "interesting" day last Friday. Nothing out of the ordinary.... I was at work, riding on the elevator with a coworker. There was a delivery man in the elevator with us. When I went to get off on our floor, I felt a touch on my shoulder. It was the delivery man. He touched my shoulder, I turned around, he waved at me, smiled and said "Bye". (I'm shuddering now as I type, as well as making a mental note to always take the stairs at work) After work, I was crossing the street to my apartment and saw a man standing at the bus stop. I started to cross the street and the man says "hi". I say hi back and I guess he takes this as an opportunity to start a conversation. He says "oh, I didn't think they had pretty women in south St. Louis. I have only been here for a few months. I must not be going out to the right places". I say "um, thanks?" and quickly cross the street.

My point is.. men are SO different from women. (I am not trying to brag in any way during this blog) Men are always honking, yelling, craning their necks to get a look, whistling, anything they can do to let you know that they think you are attractive. Why is this?! If a man thinks a woman is attractive why can he not just think it and leave it at that? (I am not saying this goes for all men all the time, but it does happen probably at least on a daily basis)
Do men think that this makes us feel good about ourselves? Do they think we want this attention? I, for one, can live without it.

I don't think I have ever seen or heard a women yell at a good looking guy walk down the road. I know that I have never honked at a man as he jogs down the street or whistled out my window. Do men do this because it is what they need to feel validated? Is this how they want their self esteem to be boosted, so they assume it works for us too? Or, are they just purposely trying to make us uncomfortable?

Usually I just ignore them, trying not to give them any more reason to talk. Lately I have resorted to rolling my eyes and shaking my head. I think I may post a sign that says "I am not interested in your comments, stares, whistles or winks. Keep them to yourselves".

Again, for all of you men who may be reading this- if you are this man, stop. If you aren't, I thank you and highly recommend you never stoop to this behavior! It's terribly annoying.
(again, not trying to man-bash here!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha. . . that was pretty good :) I've had this a lot driving on the interstate and (sometimes groddy) men honk their big loud semi horns. I hate that! I have even had it when I have had my KIDS in the car! Ok now, come on! I don't get it either. It's one thing tht is going to take more than genetics to figure out I think! :)