Saturday, December 2, 2006

World AIDS Day

December 1st is World AIDS Day. We had an ice storm this year, so the whole city was pretty quiet. The History Museum was holding an event, but I don't even know if it took place with the bad weather we were having. (Let me take this minute to say that I am praying for all those who are without power and have storm damage)

I did have the opportunity to watch a lil documentary on Ashley Judd's visit to Latin America. Ashley Judd is the ambassador for Youth AIDS. They documented her trip and the individuals she met with on her journey. I cannot express how sad this disease makes me. The heartbreaking aspect is the fact that HIV is 100% preventable. Even more heartbreaking is the fact that the number of people infected just continues to grow. Watching this documentary last night just makes me realize how fortunate I am. Not only because I do not have this life altering virus, but because I do not have a husband who infected me, then left me with five children, one who is also infected, while I sell my body to provide barely enough food for the children. Seeing these women on tv weighs heavy on my heart. You can see the hopelessness in their eyes.

I wish I could change the course of this disease. I wish everyone would make the choice to protect themselves from this virus. I wish I could find a cure. I wish I could get the message of prevention to each and every person in the world. I wish.......

As World AIDS Day has come and gone, please remember all of the people who are suffering from the virus. Consider writing to our congress men and women for more funding. Consider volunteering with an agency who is fighting this epidemic. And, consider praying for the individuals and families who are impacted by HIV and AIDS.

I realize this is an intense topic. I know that it may even be a touchy subject for some of you. I deal with this directly or indirectly almost every day, due to my job. Sometimes I think we forget about HIV. It has been 25 years since the epidemic began. I write this entry in hopes that we never forget.........

No comments: